[T3] 6 V Generator question

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Thu Nov 20 13:05:46 PST 2014

> On Nov 19, 2014, at 7:44 PM, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:
>
> One of my long term projects has been to tool up to modify old OE
> Bosch voltage regulators with modern solid state guts that I would
> have to design and build. While I'm at it, I'd like to be able to do
> 6 V VRs as well as 12s. I have plenty of 12 V parts here, but no 6 V
> parts. So I need to ask some questions about 6 V parts. If you have
> any 6 V parts lying around, please let me know if you can answer any
> of these questions.
>
> I'm looking for information about 311 parts, but some of these may
> have only Bosch part numbers on them.
>
> 1) What are the voltage and current markings on the generator? I
> expect them to be 7 V, ? A. What part numbers are on this generator?

Specs marked: EG -> 7V 50A 28 (90mm housing, Generator, clockwise rotation, 7 Volt, 50 Amp, 2800 RPM nominal output speed)
Bosch part number: 0 101 206 044
VW part number: 311 903 021A

> 2) What are the voltage and current markings on the VR? I expect them
> to be 7 V, ? A. What part numbers are on this VR?

Bosch part number: 0 190 350 030
VW part number: 311 903 801
Specs marked: VA 7V 50A

> 3) The 12 V VRs have 2 little "arms" sticking out one side, with a
> ~1.5" length of thick wire welded between them. Do the 6 V VRs have
> this same feature?

I've only driven 6V VWs, so I'm not too familiar with the later stuff, but I don't think they have the same feature.

> 4) If anyone has a dead 6 V VR that they'd be willing to donate to
> this project, I'll pay shipping to get it here. If you want it back,
> I can do that, but it'll need to stay here awhile.

Let me dig through my boxes of junk.  I'm pretty sure I have an internally-functional but melted-plastic (6V regulators have a bit of external plastic that insulates and mounts a connection terminal) VR that was running happily on my Variant for the first 18k I drove it.  6V regulators are pretty expensive, so I figured I'd save it for repair, but I'll gladly donate it to the cause.  A solid state 6V voltage regulator is something I've dreamed of for years.  I'd think that a solid state 6V regulator would have more of a market than the 12V, since your options as a 6V owner are "spend a boatload on an NOS regulator" or "take your chances on a used one that the seller won't guarantee."  New 6V T3 voltage regulators haven't been available for years.

Anyway, I'll email you directly when I find that regulator.