[T3] Elusive Smooth Idle

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 21 06:59:19 PST 2014

On 20 Nov 2014 at 21:46, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> What components are in play when an automatic d-jetronic fastback is at
> idle. This is after initial starting and warm up, after a few minutes of
> driving, waiting at a stop light, waiting in traffic. What specific
> components work in harmony to produce a smooth idle? Aside from the
> installation and proper configuration of the parts (plugs, points,
> condensor, cap, rotor, wires) valves set, timing at zero, rpm's adjust as
> close to 900 rpm as possible, but what causes the hunting, missing and
> stumbling? What D-jetronic parts are in play during a warmed up idle
> circuit?

The D-jet is never as smooth at idle as a modern car, but you may
also have other problems. I would look at things that might give your
spark an alternate path to ground or prevent the spark from getting
to the spark plug gap. Look for tracks on the nose of the coil and
inside and out on the dist cap. Then check all 4 SP connectors to
make sure that the resistors inside them have not gone open.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org