[T3] Shake that front end! Wobble, Wobble, Wobble!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 5 19:20:25 PDT 2014

On 5 Oct 2014 at 19:01, Ken Main Mail wrote:

> Mine just slide on with some bearing grease.  I thought that was normal.

That IS normal. The outer races press into the disk or drum, the
inner races slide onto the spindle.

You've measured the diameters, you have bearings that match, and you
still have wobble, Is there any chance that the outer face of the
seal is coming into contact with some part of the spindle or backing
plate before the bearings are fully engaged? This seems impossible,
but try doing a test fit without the seal in place, just to see if
this makes any difference.

NOTE: The seal lips run against the OD of the large shoulder that's
just inboard of where the inner bearing seats. That surface should be
clean and smooth before you install the disk/drum. If it's rough, the
rust will eat the seal lip away quickly and destroy it. Smooth that
surface with fine emory and oil. Grease that surface and put grease
between the lips of the double lip seals.

Before you install the seal, check that the seal fits snugly onto
that shoulder. I suppose it's possible that you got a seal that has
too small an ID so that it doesn't allow the disk to go on as far as
it should.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org