[T3] Tail Pipes...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 5 19:27:40 PDT 2014

On 5 Oct 2014 at 23:29, J. Jonik wrote:

> 71 FI T-III...   Tail pipe's gone missing. Got rusted or banged off a
> while ago...about when we noticed exhaust fume smells.

There are 2 different generations of Type 3 tailpipes: up thru '71,
and '72-3. They do not interchange. They must be used with the
matching muffler. Note that the inlet ends of the dampers are
different in diameter; that has to match the outlet on the muffler.

If you have an early style muffler, you must use the early 2-piece
damper & tailpipe. If you have a late style muffler you must use the
1-piece late damper/tailpipe.

If you want to swap the whole muffler and tailpipe assy, you can do
that. They are the same on the engine side, but the early one is
slightly more flow restrictive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org