[T3] Muffler tail pipes...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 6 03:03:19 PDT 2014

On 6 Oct 2014 at 5:00, J. Jonik wrote:

> So....is it that a Two Piece tail pipe-damper (never heard "damper"
> word before) from who-knows-what-year, will be compatible with another
> Two Piece tail pipe-damper on the muffler?    It LOOKs like it lines
> up to put on this '73 muffler. Only thing is...the rusty old (but still
> solid) parts replacement I hope to use is narrower than the one on the
> car now.

You have to be careful that all the parts you're looking at are
actually Type 3 parts; there are bus parts that look similar, but the
mounting tabs at the bend are different. They won't fit.

There's only 2 kinds of Type 3 end pieces: 2-part and 1-part. They
don't interchange because their inlet pipes are different diameters.

By now, the muffler you find on a '73 may be either early or late.
Either will fit perfectly as long as you use the right
damper/tailpipe with it. If by "narrower" you mean smaller in
diameter, that's an early, 2-piece, one and you should not try to
install it on a late muffler.

>  That's about "flow restrictive"?    If so...what's that mean?

Just what it says: more back pressure. The '72-3 cars got less
restrictive exhausts. My guess is that this was to partly make up for
the loss of power due to the increased emissions controls. Reducing
the exhaust back pressure generally leads to a little increase in
power.

BTW, the late, larger diameter, damper/tailpipes are pretty hard to
find these days, and that has made them very expensive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org