[T3] Shake that front end! Wobble, Wobble, Wobble!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 6 23:07:24 PDT 2014

On 6 Oct 2014 at 11:01, Ken Main Mail wrote:

> The rotors where original to the car when I got it.  I did not change them.

Ah, so not everything is new. In that case, it sounds like you
replaced the inner races and rollers of each bearing but reused the
outer races that were still in the old rotors. This usually works
just fine as long as the old outer races are still in good condition.

Unfortunately, the outer races are usually NOT in great condition if
the other parts of the bearing have failed, but this is still
something that you can probably get away with. Nevertheless, I think
I have almost always replaced both parts of any failed bearing.

You should pull off the seal and look at the inner race to see if it
has fallen too deep into the old inner race. This would indicate that
the old and new parts were not good mates for one another. I think
the edge of the steel roller retainer is usually about the same depth
as the edge of the outer race.

An easier way to test this would be to see how deep into the outer
race your new inner race comes compared to how deep it fits in the
new outer race that came with the bearing that you bought.

Finally, you should make sure that the play you're feeling is
actually in the bearing and not in the sway bar, as Dave mentioned.
Bearing play is best checked with the front end jacked up and then
you only need to apply light force to the components to feel the
play. If you're grabbing the top of the tire with the car on the
ground and yanking it sideways and feeling play, then this is most
likely sway bar play, not bearing play.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org