[T3] sputtering and bogging down - Update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 6 23:07:24 PDT 2014

On 6 Oct 2014 at 16:03, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> symptom is engine if bogging down and sputtering up hills and on level
> ground also, at the top of each gear before it shifts up. Much more
> pronounced on the hill

It really sounds like a problem of limited fuel delivery, because it
seems to pop up only under those conditions when extra fuel is
required.

Gary Forsmo did some fuel delivery tests with his fuel pump before
and after I rebuilt it. If he still has those numbers, you could
compare with them. The easiest way to do this would be to attach a
length of hose to the test port and time how long it takes to fill a
quart container. You run the pump by jumping across the pump
terminals at the pump relay, under the dash. Don't touch the white
connector, just jump between the 2 red wires.

Have you done anything to fix your overflow hose? If not, you need
to.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org