[T3] Tail Pipes...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Oct 7 18:19:42 PDT 2014

On 7 Oct 2014 at 9:52, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> I bought a good used stock muffler back in the summer. Even had my son
> sand blast it at his work then painted it with some gray extreme high
> heat paint.  But it's missing the tail pipe. The damper is there and
> in good shape just missing that little tail pipe with the 90 degree
> bend. None of my local resources can get it and only one place on line
> has it and they want around $75 for it. Now seeing what Jim has posted
> about being a late model and a early version  I'm not even sure if it
> is the one I need. Looks like my only other alternative is taking the
> muffler to a local muffler shop with a photo of the tail pipe out of
> the Bentley and seeing if they can make me one. Any other suggestions?

That's clearly the early damper. If it fits the muffler then the
muffler is also the matching one. If it's very loose in the muffler
then you need the late damper/tailpipe to go with it.

You can buy the early tailpipes as others have suggested, but a good
muffler shop can stretch you a good sub. It might be worthwhile to
buy one OE one for them to copy. There's also a tab that you will
need to weld to it for mounting.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org