[T3] Starter Solenoid Testing

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 17:35:06 PDT 2014

If I've understood you right, I reckon that's just the solenoid moving but
unable to do anything else as there isn't enough power available from that
circuit to drive the starter motor round. Not a good idea to do it - you may
overload the ignition wire circuit and burn something out.  That's certainly
the noise I heard when trying to start the school minibus with jump leads
after someone had left the inside lights on for several days - ie totally
flat battery, and probably pretty poor quality jump leads!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club