[T3] Common Hardware Sizes and BelMetric

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:34:58 PDT 2014

> From: dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:32:16 +0100
> Subject: Re: [T3] Common Hardware Sizes and BelMetric
>
> I don't have any experience with Belmetric, but most stuff in the UK is now
> metric. Trouble is there is such a big range of screws and bolts used that
> unless you're going to get longer ones and cut them down as necessary, you
> would need a large selection. Also there's the need for high-tensile ones
> for certain applications, and occasionally metric fine rather than standard.
> I don't think much uses metric coarse.

Good point and good to know course isn't used. Many bolts only come in course and fine, no third, so it seems.

> From the parts book, the list of standard hardware contains over 50
> different bolt sizes and a similar number of machine screws. I don't think
> it would be economical to buy much of the range. If you plan engine work
> some of the M6 x 10 cheese head screws might come in handy for the tinware
> - they often chew up - but some of them are M6 x 12, so you see the problem!
> Those are best changed for hex head to make removal easier later. Buy some
> M6 x 12 hex head and a bag of washers to allow for holes tapped into
> castings!

At some point like to rebuild another engine, but no time soon! Good point, as the spare set of tin doesn't have screws. Good point about washers! That be much easier to have on hand, and in a pinch, stack a few and get by with a longer bolt.

> M8 x 20 is a useful size too, but there are so many variations. By the time
> you get to your 60's, there are part bags of all sorts of fasteners, so you
> can spend hours sorting them out by gauge, length and thread! I am doing
> that with BSF, BSW, AF, BA, and Metric at an aircaft museum, and I am not
> really much the wiser about which is which - at least with metric there's
> not the range of choice!

The Volkswagen are mostly in one of those boxes with individual compartments. Need to get another for the Mercedes. Nice thing about metric is the grade is clearly stamped on the head, rather than some code you have to look up!

I can't believe there is that many types of hardware! :O My Dad is helping build a Naval WW1 replica with other museum volunteers; name escapes me, but Boeing only build a few for the Navy before the war ended, sold a fellow the bits left, prior owner attempted to finish, then went to the museum. The issue is not a lot of plans, stuff was already build but not correct, and a lot of rebuilding and guessing. So what is it with these museums and the plethora of work to be done? l.o.l.

> If you can get dished washers in M6 and M8, they are often found broken when
> something is unbolted. Some use the split ring locking washers, which are
> often found broken.

Good point! Why use one over the other?

Thank you so very much!
Adriel