[T3] It's not just the horn...

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 18:21:49 PDT 2014

If the ignition was very intermittent, that might well crackle on the radio.
If it went off and on and off, that could ignite unburnt gases that got into
the exhaust when the ignition was momentarily off - hence a bang or two as
it got intermittent.

You say the idiot lights come on Ok, so the ignition must still be working.
That makes it sound like the starter part of the ignition switch could be
the problem, or the wiring to/from that.

Anyway, get a look at the starter motor, the gear and whether it slides OK.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club