[T3] The Baroness

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Oct 24 10:20:16 PDT 2014

On 5 Oct 2014 at 20:37, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> When you said to run the car for 20 minutes without idling, did you mean
> drive it around, or sit in it with my foot on the pedal?

Most people do this sitting still in the driveway simply because this
is a first start and they're going to change the oil again very
quickly, so this is the easy way to do it. But there's an advantage
to doing your first break in over a range of RPMs, so that all the
engine parts experience a range of use. You don't want to do anything
that would put extra stress on the cam and lifters, but the stress on
those parts never changes, regardless of the load on the engine.

For that reason, if you're sure that everything is connected and
working properly, I'd suggest doing your break in while driving, in
various gears and various speeds, but never let it sit and idle.

And, congratulations on getting the Baroness running again.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org