[T3] Tow my T3 update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 26 06:23:54 PDT 2014

On 25 Oct 2014 at 15:05, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I got that back in as you say, except the inline fuse. I didn't see
> one in Bently but will look again. Bently shows 2 wires after the
> switch. One to the kick down solenoid and the other to the test port.

Okay, I didn't follow that second wire. Going to the test port makes
sense.

> I checked for 12v on both wires(connectors) with the engine running
> and got nothing. Likewise I checked for continuity on both, with
> engine off, and got nothing. So now it's a bit more studying up. One
> of the wires in the 2 wire connection has the # 33 on it. The other
> may be 35. Its to faded to read.

With the ignition on, you should have 12 V on the side of the switch
that has the single wire. I would not have expected to see any
numbers on either of those wires. The numbered wires are for the FI
system, so if you have numbered wires on there, those must be FI
wires that are mis-connected.

> The front wheel problem was one of wobble when shaking the top of the
> tire. Adjusting the torsion arm, grease and adjusting the arm again is
> what I ended up doing. Then another pump of grease.

Did you tighten the set screw on the left upper torsion arm?

> I remember seeing and saving a chart that had the various F I
> components and the year/system they were used in. I'm looking for that
> also.The intake air pressure sensor # is: 311 906 051C. I installed
> 311 906 051E. I expect they are for different systems but figured a
> holding vacuum was better than a leaking one. Not sure on that, now
> but it's in and running mostly well.

The C is for '70-1. The E is for '72-3, but there are 2 different
versions of the E, so you have to look at the Bosch number.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org