[T3] Horn Problem

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 11:28:56 PDT 2014

71 T III....Horn worked yesterday, although the beep wasn't strong.   A week or so ago, having horn trouble, I took off the steering wheel and found that the small wire to the plastic center piece was barely attached, with broken female connector.    Fixed that and the horn worked...but still weakly.
But I didn't properly align the steering wheel in it notched seat, so I moved it around to right setting.  Then, horn didn't work at all.   With steering wheel off, Touching the wire to the metal got sparks, and sometimes a decent beep.
But, after checking the wires at the horn itself, now there's no sparks and no beep.  One wire to the horn checks out as getting juice.  Crossing the two wire connectors (still on their horn tabs) got nothing.    Should that have made the horn beep?   Or, is that ground wire faulty?
Also, under the steering wheel, there's all this stuff linked to the turn signal.  But the two brass (or copper?) bent tabs on top both have worn crumbly holes smack in the middle. Could it be that they aren't making proper contact with the steering wheel?
Then, how to replace that component?   Bentley has nothing on this.  BUT, Bentley shows How-To for turn signal in that same area and says to Disconnect Ground Strap at battery.   Must that strap be disconnected to do horn work in the steering column too?
I MAY have spare parts somewhere.