[T3] Common Hardware Sizes and BelMetric

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 03:32:16 PDT 2014

I don't have any experience with Belmetric, but most stuff in the UK is now
metric.  Trouble is there is such a big range of screws and bolts used that
unless you're going to get longer ones and cut them down as necessary, you
would need a large selection.  Also there's the need for high-tensile ones
for certain applications, and occasionally metric fine rather than standard.
I don't think much uses metric coarse.

>From the parts book, the list of standard hardware contains over 50
different bolt sizes and a similar number of machine screws.  I don't think
it would be economical to buy much of the range. If you plan engine work
some of the M6 x 10 cheese head screws might come in handy for the tinware
- they often chew up - but some of them are M6 x 12, so you see the problem!
Those are best changed for hex head to make removal easier later. Buy some
M6 x 12 hex head and a bag of washers to allow for holes tapped into
castings!

M8 x 20 is a useful size too, but there are so many variations.  By the time
you get to your 60's, there are part bags of all sorts of fasteners, so you
can spend hours sorting them out by gauge, length and thread!  I am doing
that with BSF, BSW, AF, BA, and Metric at an aircaft museum, and I am not
really much the wiser about which is which - at least with metric there's
not the range of choice!

If you can get dished washers in M6 and M8, they are often found broken when
something is unbolted.  Some use the split ring locking washers, which are
often found broken.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club