[T3] The Baroness

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 18:03:55 PDT 2014

New Cams need to have assembly lube put on them when installed, your engine
builder should know this. First 100-300 miles should be with Break-in oil,
its a ZDDP heavy oil specifically for break in of these older engines.  I
use the Joe Gibbs BR30.  When its first started, DO NOT LET IT IDLE, run it
between 2000-2500 RPM for 20 minutes, this will break in the cam.  Then
drive gently but Normally for the next 100-300 miles on the break in oil.

The next oil change should be conventional oil, 10W30 is good for a new
engine but it MUST have the ZDDP in it, so either a specialty oil like the
Joe Gibbs or a regular oil with the additive in the correct amount, you can
get the additive at various places.  With out full flow filtration DO NOT
USE SYNTHETICS or semi Synthetics, they require an oil filter.

1000 miles later change the oil again, and drive normally during this period
avoiding steady speed or heavy loads for extended periods for the first 1500
miles but once past 300mi do run it thru the gears and put your foot into it
up to the red-line occationally, 4400 RPM.

Be sure to clean the strainer and adjust the valves with each oil change.

Full flow filtration is an aftermarket oil filter that is added during the
rebuild as it requires some machining of the case and fan shroud.  Its a
good idea in that it filters the oil MUCH better and prevents a single issue
from getting recirculated thru the engine and ruining everything. the
downside is your adding hoses and such that need to be mounted properly and
replaced at some point.

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.om