[T3] Re? Car Won't Start.

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 14:44:32 PDT 2014

The Latest is that....today I took old starter for a free check up.  It had very wiggly ring, the biggest one at the active gear-pinion end.  Looking at it, it's not even seated in dead center.
So..."new" starter, from a former Automatic (but usable anyway) is in the car. Still car didn't start...same symptoms. No starter try to do anything.
So, on advice of a friend mechanic, I took battery in for a test, including a "Load Test" after trying again, in vain, to start the car.     Battery passed with flying colors.  Brought it home and put it in the car...and the car STARTED!!!    I thought I could feel the extra torque from that larger starter. How just testing the battery could make things work is a mystery.  They said charge was ok and all...and the Load Test found it up to spec, and the clamps and terminals have been very wire-brushed clean all along.

BUT...the Gen Light Stayed on.    When trying earlier to solve things, I put in some longer, less worn generator brushes. Didn't help with starting though.    How that could cause the Gen light to stay on, I don't know.I THOUGHT I lost a small screw, the one for the brushes, inside the generator....but taking out generator, tapping, tilting, shaking etc produced no little screw.   Unless there's some magnet in there, the screw is on the street.
I'll try some other brushes in my generator collection....And I'll read the book on "what to do when Gen Light Goes On" for a refresher.
Old Cars seem to just Get Symptoms and things that aren't covered in books.  Or is it more about old car owners?