[T3] 185 (??)R15

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 2 19:55:38 PDT 2014

On 2 Sep 2014 at 21:34, 73 squareback Cincy wrote:

> I can find 185's all day but im wanting to take these magnesium rims off
> of my ride. the inner wall weights keep falling off and ready to go with
> stock rims just for the hell of it. You cant put outter weights on them.
> So will a 185 Tire work ok on stock rims?

185s are really too wide for the stock 4.5" rims. You can force them
on, but it's not a recommended combination and they won't give the
improved handling that you'd hope for in a wider tire, because of how
the tire will "twist" with side force, instead of deforming as a
parallelogram would (as it would on a suitably wider rim.)

185R15s are also taller than 165R15s, so this will raise the car and
make the handling worse. If you end up going this route, look for
185/70R15s or 185/65R15s.

The 185s will clear in the rear, but the fronts will rub on the inner
fender walls in turns, so your turning radius will suffer.

For the distances you're talking about driving each year, you don't
need great tires. Go with what you can get or one of the cheap brands
Keith mentioned.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org