[T3] Oil light flickering! Additives?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 21 12:12:41 PDT 2014

On 21 Sep 2014 at 11:26, Phil Hof wrote:

> I have read about the low rpm oil light flicker, but never saw it in
> my fastback... until this last week.

I would not worry about flickering at idle. Yes, it's a sign of
possible engine wear, but not of imminent failure. It's particularly
common in hot weather after a hard run.

Also, I'm not a fan of thicker oil. Yes, that will keep the oil light
off, but it doesn't really help the pressure IN the bearings, where
the pressure is almost completely due to the hydrodynamic action of
the spinning shaft pumping oil into the area where the shaft is
closest to the bearing.

High oil galley pressure will keep the oil light off, but it's also
more likely to open the pressure relief valve and let oil bypass the
oil cooler, meaning that your engine won't get all the cooling it
would have with lighter oil.

The brakes won't have any effect on this. If you adjusted them too
tight, the drums will burn your fingers if you check them after a
drive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org