[T3] 1971 Fastback Turn Signal Switch

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 25 18:10:52 PDT 2014

On 25 Sep 2014 at 16:35, Art Sterrett wrote:

> I am in need of a working Turn Signal Switch for a 1971 Fastback.  I
> have read a lot that they are next to impossible to find.  My switch
> works for the right turn signal but not the left one.  High Beams do
> not work.  Four ways work.  You can get the left signal to work if you
> move the handle around a little bit.  I believe Jim Adney worked on
> this switch sometime ago but have not determined the date as yet.  Has
> anyone used another year switch and modified it to work in the 1971..
> Have heard that it's possible to make the 1970 switch work in a 1971.
> If anyone has a switch to sell or has some ideas on how to get the
> signal to work in this 1971 type 3 please let me know.  I will wait to
> hear from you all, thank you!

It's unusual for this to have failed in these ways. It makes me
wonder if something got in there and is keeping things from making
contact. People don't often think about how vulnerable those parts
are to things that they casually throw over the steering column. I
could look at it again, if you like, but I won't be able to do
anything with it for the next month.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org