[T3] Front axle beam question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 10 21:02:57 PDT 2014

A month or so ago I had to do a LOT of work on Gary Forsmo's front
axle beam, after the fixed socket for his RF torsion bar tore loose.
We replaced the beam and then replaced some of the bushings in the
used replacement beam. It was a lot of work and I had to make a
number of tools to salvage and install bearings and bushings.

In that process I have looked at fig. 8-23 in chapter 7. That's the
one that shows how deep into the beam each bearing should be
positioned.

The depth for the lower needle bearings is 4.5-5.5 mm, but I measure
the depth of the sleeve portion of the seal that gets pressed in
there afterwards at ~5 mm. That can't be right.

I'm measuring a used lower seal. Keith, do you have a NEW lower seal
that you can measure? Does anyone have a beam with a lower torsion
bar removed that they can measure the depth to the face of the
bearing?

It looks like a mistake in the Bentley, but it might be due to rust
in the inner steel reinforcement of the used seal that I'm measuring.

Let me know.

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org