[T3] 1971 Steering Column/ignition switch repair

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Sep 13 17:32:02 PDT 2014

Success!  Thanks to Jim Adney in coming up with a correct ’71 column housing, and the Samba suggestions about using a Bug switch!

I have my ’71 together, and it hasn’t worked like this since it was new.  My wobbly column is tight and the ignition switch is easy to work and plugs right in.

I will post photos and instructions in the Samba thread later in the weekend.  I also have photos of the ’70 hardware for reference, though I’ll put that in a different thread to avoid confusion.

Anyone here have a ’70 in need of a column, mechanical, or electrical switch?  I have one complete and parts for another.  They are NOT compatible with the ’70 parts so i have no further use and am happy to share them here.

I can bring them on to Rally if anyone is coming who needs them.  Otherwise it’s regular mail.

-Phil