[T3] Automatic to Manual?

Max Welton max_welton_2k at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 28 23:04:54 PDT 2015

Are you saying the rear torsion bars themselves are different between the square and the fasty? Or that the indexing was different? I would have no issue swapping out the rear torsion bars between the two rear-ends to keep the fasty bars with the fasty body.And reindexing is just something I would be doing in any case to get the rear ride-height where I want it ... near stock.
Also, isn't there a Z-bar above the tranny in the square that acts as a "helper" spring when there is a load in the back? I would not expect to find that in the other body styles but I don't know that first hand.
Pretty sure I don't agree wrt the torque tube in the swing-axle cars though. The axis of rotation from torque is the rear axle itself and there's plenty of distance from there to the rear of the fanshroud. Nice moment arm there. If the donut is a loose fit at rest it will still bear load as soon as the frame-horns flex a little. I actually shimmed mine so there is a slight preload.
But the automatic transmission has the potential to be a huge problem, particularly if it doesn't have a good VM. If so the car becomes something I'm stuck with.
OK, I've talked myself out of it. ;-)
Max Welton
http://www.maxwelton2k.net/