[T3] 1973 Fasty Back on the Road!

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Apr 29 17:29:24 PDT 2015

Hello all,
I'm not a frequent poster, and my period of activity on this list was a while ago, but I've been learning from all of your conversations for many years now and applying the learnings to the ongoing resurrection of my '73 Fasty. The car used to be my daily driver (only has 68K original miles, 20K of them from me) until someone ran a stopsign and t-boned me on the driver's side in 2005...it took a while to get a reasonable settlement from the insurance company, to determine if they had "totaled" it, to find some of the needed parts, to replace the brake system (the main line through the car ruptured in the accident so I figured all the lines were near the end...all new lines, hoses, master & wheel cylinders, pads/shoes, etc.), to graft in new panels where the rear end had rusted, and more...but yesterday the car, recently painted and sporting a refreshed interior, new window seals and new wheels/tires, passed its first safety inspection in 10 years and went for a first drive. It tracks very well (all tie rod ends and ball joints were also replaced in the last 10 years) and was a pleasure to drive.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1344036.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1344035.jpg
  Anyway, just wanted to post a couple of pics via TheSamba...count one more T3 on the road :-)
- DougFalls Church, VA

Hey Doug this is great!  I know from experience it feels good when you get these cars back on the road after they have been out of service for a long time.  The green looks good.  Same color as the 71 stander beetle we are fixing up for my middle son.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT (Clementine)
70 Fastbck Carb MT (school project)
71 Stander Beetle Middle Son’s car
67 Ford F-100 Hart of Crown Vic. (Leroy)
88 Golf Oldiest Son’s car
10 Toyota Corolla Wife’s car
65 Ford 4000 (old Blue)
Rainsville, Alabama