[T3] Flexible steering coupler

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Apr 30 17:11:08 PDT 2015

Thanks Bob - the body may have become feeble but the head is still OK then!
It seemed that was probably a better way to go - might even do best with the
spare wheel well out and stand in the hole with the car on the ground - easy
enough to still turn the steering on gravel to get the required bolt at the
top.  Old cotter pins are hard to remove - I've had to do that on track-rod
(tie-rod) ends. Maybe now stainless are common it would be better, but the
mild steel ones always rusted in.  I can't imagine how hard it was to drill
through in that position

Thanks for the warning on the coupler.  I've two genuine NOS VW ones in my
parts, not poor quality repros, and they are the rubber impregnated fabric
with spacers.  Some I've seen have something like rivets, and definitely are
very inferior.  I remember the one I changed decades ago was badly cracked,
but the fabric was still holding things together.

I guess the column housing may need disturbing to get a bit of clearance to
remove the old and fit the new - we'll see.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club