[T3] Fuel Sending Unit Disassebaly

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Aug 3 08:37:32 PDT 2015

On 2 Aug 2015 at 21:01, Craigs List wrote:

> How do I take the sending unit apart? It is out, bottom nut removed, and I
> think I am going to kill it getting the metal sleeve off.

If the sleeve and end cap are one piece, this is an original and it
should just slide apart. If the end cap is a separate part, this is a
recent replacement and the end cap unscrews, leaving the sleeve
stationary until you get the end cap off.

Once you get that far, however, most of the  problem areas are not
going to be obvious and the fixes are likely to be even less so. The
sensor wire is quite special, so if it is broken you won't find
replacement wire anywhere. I only charge $30 to repair the senders,
so sending it to me is a pretty good deal.

BTW, one of the most common problems with the senders is rust and/or
dirt, caused by water and dirt that has gotten into the gas tank thru
a broken overflow hose. If you haven't already installed one of my
overflow hose repair kits, you should do that. The kits area cheap
and will save you many times their cost in avoided repairs and
aggravation.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org