[T3] Master Cylinder workover

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Aug 19 13:11:33 PDT 2015

I've had one of my '73 Squarebacks since 1990. When I bought it, I
rebuilt the calipers and installed DoT-5 Silicone Brake Fluid in it.
All it's brake parts, except for the front pads, are still the
originals.

Sometime between 2000 and 2005 I noticed that the brake fluid level
seemed to be slowly going down, and I found that the master cylinder
was leaking out the front end, onto the driver's floor. This is
pretty typical for old MCs, so I pulled the MC, intending to rebuild
it. What I found was that this was a FAG MC, the seals were still
fine, but there was a little rust in the bore, just inside the mouth,
where the seal needed to seal. The rust was pushing the rubber out of
the way, allowing brake fluid to leak out.

I decided to take a chance and just clean up the front end of the
bore, so the seal would have a chance to do its thing. I never
actually took the rear piston and seals out. I just did a minor
amount of work and put it back together with all its original 1973
parts.

This spring, once winter was over, I found that the brake fluid
reservoir was empty, at least one side was. I refilled it and drove
it a bit, but it was scary since there was air in the system, meaning
that I had to pump the brakes at least once to get decent braking.
So today I pulled the MC out to see what had finally happened after
all these years with the original parts.

What I found was pretty amazing. There was very little wrong inside.
I had expected to find more rust inside the mouth, but the bore was
perfect. The seals all looked almost perfect, except that the very
first one had just enough wear on its rim to explain a small leak in
very cold weather.

What happens is that in cold weather everything shrinks, but rubber
shrinks more than iron, so the seal shrunk and pulled away from the
bore of the mc and let the fluid out. This probably took weeks, and
those of you who never see really cold weather will probably never
experience this. It got down to -10 F here last winter. That's
certainly not record cold for us, but it's cold enough to cause a
problem with a worn seal.

Now keep in mind that this seal was used with standard fluid for 17
years, and standard fluid is not nearly as good a lubricant as DoT-5,
so most of this wear probably occurred prior to 1990, or by
2000/2005, when there was rust in the bore there. So you can see how
good those OG parts were. And you can also see why I am a strong
proponent of DoT-5 Silicone Brake Fluid.

You can buy DoT-5 at your FLAPS. If you have questions about it or
about how to install it, email me directly for my writeup on it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org