[T3] Endplay measurements

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Aug 24 20:54:16 PDT 2015

On 24 Aug 2015 at 20:33, Phil Hof wrote:

> With the flywheel off, I measure about 0.012" of endplay in the
> bearing itself, so almost the entire endplay is in the bearing it
> seems. It will have to await teardown to find out if the wear is in
> the bearing or the case (or quite unlikely, in the crank itself).

No, this is not a crank problem, although it doesn't mean that the
crank doesn't also need work.

This means that the #1 main bearing has come loose in the case. The
case will have to be turned oversize on the diameter and undersize on
the thrust. IIRC, there is only 1 thrust undersize, which is 1 mm,
but RIMCO can do what you suggested and cut a minimal amount off the
case thrust face and open up the thrust on a undersize thrust bearing
to fit your case. They then stamp a number on the case that tells
them what's been done, so you can order bearings from them next time,
if needed. I've had them do this a number of times and it works well,
but not everyone can do it. Most shops can't.

You're luck you caught this before the bearing spun and ruined the
case.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org