[T3] Type 3 oil cooler tin piece

Phil Ostronic phil.hof at ostronic.org
Wed Dec 2 10:00:19 PST 2015

There is a small tin piece that goes on the block before the oil cooler and its bolts are fitted.  On a Bug this has been nicknamed the "Hoover Bit."  The shape is different but the idea is the same, to seal the cooler better.
I never have found one on my two T3s I've owned, including the '71 I am now rebuilding.  I actually assumed they didn't use it, and that  the Bentley and/or Elfrink photo I saw was from reused from a Bug manual (which they both often did).
However, after seeing an ad for the part on the Samba, specifically for a T3, I figured I was wrong.  I am buying the part, and my builder is on hold waiting for it.
However, I've read that very early Type 3 motors used a Type 1 steel cooler with an adapter.  Maybe this tin piece was only used for those?
Do you know the part, and do you know its correct application?

More information about the type3-vwtype3.org mailing list