[T3] Battery cables

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Dec 3 00:11:56 PST 2015

On 2 Dec 2015 at 23:23, Soren Jacobsen wrote:

> Perhaps that's what was going on, but it strikes me as a bit unlikely,
> given that the connection between the clamp and battery post was free of
> corrosion.  Corrosion was only present on the copper wire strands where
> the clamp was crimped on, and that corrosion was invisible until I cut
> the clamp off to investigate.

The post and OG clamp are both made of lead, which is barely affected
by the acid. The acid only attacks the copper. It works it's way in
along the copper/lead interface, eating away at the copper. Note that
the OG bolt and nut were also special, being lead coated to resist
being attacked by the acid.

The OG clamps weren't crimped on, they were cast onto the end of the
copper cable. It's a superior technique that isn't done any more.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org