[T3] Battery cables

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:09:57 PST 2015

From 1986 to 2001 my '69 Square had been stored in a dry (but unheated)
barn.
The late fall (Wisconsin) routine was:

   - car exterior washed and waxed,
   - interior vacuumed and all unnecessary items removed,
   - car up on jack stands,
   - wheels removed,
   - battery removed,
   - car covered with a light cotton cover.

The wheels and battery were stored in a dry, dark, semi-heated basement
location.
The battery was stored in the basement, hooked up to a "trickle charger"
and hydrometer checked monthly.
Particularly, the fluid level was checked and distilled water was added to
the cells, as needed.

In the spring the process was reversed.
*-----------------------------*

Regarding the battery:
Following this semi-annual process, provided me the opportunity to

   1. clean the posts on the battery,
   2. inspect and clean the battery cable connections
   3. "spread" the battery lugs,
   4. attach the cables to the battery posts

From 2001 to 2010 the car was in "the barn" storage.

In 2010, with a great deal of help from Jim A., many of the engine, brakes,
electrical, fuel injection, etc. systems were refurbished.
I still follow this semi-annual routine with success.

I've been criticized for following this process, but it worked well for me
for 15 years.
For the last 5+ years, the only part of the routine that has changed is;
the wheels stay on the car.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Squareback, FI, MT, One-owner
Rockport, TX (winter)