[T3] Bosch Ignition Condensors!?!

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Dec 17 08:22:23 PST 2015

Last week someone brought me a Type 4 distributor to rebuild. With
it, he brought a brand new condensor to go with it. This was bought
from Automobile Atlanta and came in a properly labeled yellow Bosch
box. It was the same part that '72-3 Type 3 distributors use, with
the long Bosch number ending in 220. You know the one.

But inside that Bosch box was a Japanese looking condensor with gold
colored plating. I don't recall whether the country of origin was
marked anywhere. It looked reasonable, however, and, frankly, I've
never seen a bad condensor, so I don't tend to think of this as one
of those parts to be picky about.

The surprise came when I tried to mount it on the distributor. This
condensor is intended to mount some distance to the left from where
the connection to the points enters the distributor body. But the
wire on this condensor wasn't long enough to reach. It was about 1/2
to 3/4" too short. No way was it going to work.

The owner told me that this was a well known problem among 914/4
owners, who use the same engine and the same condensor. It's hard for
me to believe that Bosch is selling these made somewhere else and
selling them even thou they don't fit. They MUST be aware of the
problem, but apparently there isn't enough demand for them to
actually care.

The short lesson here is that you should NEVER simply replace your
Bosch condensor just because it's old. ALL my Type 3s have old Bosch
condensors and I've never had one fail on me. Remember, Russ told us
that back in the 60s Bosch offered a bounty for any defective Bosch
condensor a mechanic could give them. To the best of his knowledge,
no one was ever able to claim that bounty. Hang onto those genuine
German parts, as they may become irreplacable.

The other thing I note is that my stash of old genuine Bosch
condensors just became more valuable.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org