[T3] New Rotors. Weak Brakes.

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Jul 4 23:40:31 PDT 2015

On 4 Jul 2015 at 10:18, Craigs List wrote:

> Yesterday I replaced the front rotors and bearings. Everything went fine.
> Now it seems like it is stopping with the ears and not the fonts.

Two possibilities come to mind:

New rotors come with an anti-rust waxy coating that needs to be
removed before they are used. I usually remove it from the disk area
but leave it in place on the hub. If you left it in place, it will
lubricate the friction surface and possibly permanently contaminate
the pads.

Since you replace the rotors, it's likely that the old pads had worn
to match the old grooved disks. That means that with new rotors only
the high spots of the pads will now touch the rotors. These will wear
down rather quickly and give you decent braking if you are gentle
with them for a few days.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org