[T3] ANOTHER slipped belt!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 04:02:24 PDT 2015

When you divide the tyre cost by the miles of service life, I doubt it's
more than one cent per mile for a set of 4.  It's not like pouring money
down the drain!  Think how many cents a mile the fuel costs (currently about
9cts in Albany?).

I don't rotate tyres - the wear pattern front to rear is completely
different.  The rears wear flat across and the fronts more rounded, but the
tyres have deeper tread on the shoulders. If the pressures are correct and
the front-end geometry is correct, they wear evenly (on mine anyway).  I've
read that the tyre gets a sett in the rotation direction first fitted, and
are better kept rolling in that direction, but that may be as much of a myth
as the need to rotate tyres.  The only advantage (if it is one) is you get
to change all 4 at the same time.  I prefer half the cost at a time!
Currently I've some budget tyres on the rears (Maxxis) and genuine XZX on
the front.  Lower quality tyres seem to fail on the sidewalls before the
tread wears out, anyway, so using them on the rear is no hardship.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club