[T3] stock exhaust question

Timothy Jones timothyjones883 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:49:38 PDT 2015

Hello all,
I have a fairly new-to-me 1969 squareback, manual transmission, stock exhaust, dual carbed (before my ownership).
 My question refers to what I believe are the preheater or fresh air hoses. I saw the other day someone trying to source them and it piqued my curiosity. My hoses were attached where they go into the cabin but where they joined the  exhaust they were not attached and the actual port on the exhaust was plugged, welded, brazed up. I am in Texas; my "heaters" work well when, although not too often, needed.  I am referring to the smaller diameter corrugated flex hose.
I am not sure what the smaller, what i believe to be the fresh air hoses, are for/ do and if i need to unplug my exhaust port and re-attach these hoses. I thought it was for the f/i system at first, but now not sure. Any info is greatly appreciated.
TIA, Tim Jones