[T3] Rear wheel bearings

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jul 14 07:49:02 PDT 2015

On 13 Jul 2015 at 14:53, maroblll at coqui.net wrote:

> I'm in the process of a brake job (front/rear) but then decided to bring
> it up a notch and complicate my existence by replacing the wheel
> bearings, seals and brake lines, rubber and solid.

I'd advise you not to mess with the rear wheel bearings. It's a
rather big job with IRS and an even bigger job with swing axle, but
in either case, it's more work than it's worth. Those bearings seldom
fail, nor do their seals.

And, yes, you really don't want to get too involved with trying to
get the tranny with swing axles out of the car. That's a LOT of work
that you should leave for a time when it's really necessary. And it's
likely to never be necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org