[T3] Tach Wire Routing

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jul 14 19:54:12 PDT 2015

On 14 Jul 2015 at 19:09, Craigs List wrote:

> I turned my clock into a tach. Where would be the easiest place to run the
> wire to the coil? I would go out there and trace it, but it is 100 degrees
> with humidity. I would rather sit here and type abd think about it.

If this is an MT car, go out and look at where the wire for the oil
pressure sender breaks out of the wiring harness. On later cars there
is a red wire that was just used on AT cars and was cut off at the
factory if the car ended up with a MT.

If you find the end of that wire in the engine compartment, the other
end is under the dash and may be dangling or connected to the fuel
pump relay. Either way, it's already there and not being used. Feel
free to repurpose it.

If this is an AT car, or an earlier MT car, you'll just have to
install another wire parallel to the main wiring harness. This varies
a lot, depending on the year. It can be quite difficult, especially
on earlier cars.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org