[T3] Breather box-support stand

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Jul 2 08:42:46 PDT 2015

On 2 Jul 2015 at 10:51, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/1/2015 10:56:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> jadney at VWType3.org writes:
>
> That  said, it's often very hard to unscrew that "nut" even when you
> have good  access. They get cemented in there by years of accumulated
> baked oil, etc.  I'm on my third such tool, having broken each of the
> others.
>
> This is where the 1 inch internal pipe wrench really helps. ;-)

Right, I've actually got 2 tools at the moment, and one of them is
the internal nipple wrench. The last time I used it, the nut exploded
and destroyed the breather stand. The only thing that ended up being
useful was the breather box.

My other tool is a large socket that I bought at Farm & Fleet
(because they are cheap there) and modified on a mill to make it fit
that "nut."

So far, those 2 tools have survived, although I had to re-do the
modified socket after one of it's teeth broke off. I welded a larger
piece of steel to the end of the socket and made teeth that extended
inwards quite a ways, so they would be stronger.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org