[T3] Mufflers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Jun 7 20:37:30 PDT 2015

On 7 Jun 2015 at 2:24, J. Jonik wrote:

> Over an hour of searching for Best Price for a '72 T-3 muffler
> suggests that such mufflers don't exist for any price.   How can
> anyone drive a T-3 without a new muffler every so often?

I have all those parts, but they are not cheap. OTOH, they tend to
last a very long time.

> Can any of the other VW mufflers be adapted if, say, just the long
> tank part has rusted away and only that needs replacing?

If you replace the muffler, damper pipe and tailpipe, you can use the
earlier '66-'71 version of the muffler. That setup is slightly easier
to find and slightly cheaper.

I often replace only the part that has gone bad. It's just the
practical thing to do with parts that are scarce.

By far, the hardest part of this job is unscrewing the muffler from
the small rear heat exchangers. It's a big job that I use a giant
vise, torch and wrench to get apart. I can do that for you for a
small fee. Honestly, you'll never manage to do it yourself.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org