[T3] Car won't move

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jun 18 20:25:46 PDT 2015

On 18 Jun 2015 at 17:33, Craigs List wrote:

> Got home. Pushed the car around in its spot. Looks like something to do
> with the passenger side rear. It is NOT a stuck brake. The drum spins about
> 1/4" when going forward and back while rocking the car. I really have no
> idea what could be locking it up.

It's still possible that one shoe on that wheel is stuck to the drum.
The way to figure this out is to remove the plugs from the 2
inspection holes (next to the adjusting holes) in the backing plate
and stick a punch in there. Tap the punch with a hammer and it will
either feel like it's against something that's spring loaded (not
stuck) or something solid (stuck.) Once you find the stuck one, hit
the punch harder, driving the shoe sideways, until you break the shoe
free. Once it feels spring loaded, you should be able to drive away
normally.

I don't recommend hitting the drum. You probably won't accomplish
anything unless you damage the drum.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org