[T3] front end woes

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jun 29 07:04:34 PDT 2015

On 28 Jun 2015 at 21:29, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Oy vey.  As Rodanne Rosanadana used to say, "If it's not one thing, it's
> another."

One of my very favorite SNL characters, right along with Emily
Laetella.

> I think my front end is shot.   Well, not *my *front end, but The
> Baroness'.  I took her up to Marin yesterday, over the bridge.  Every time
>  hit an expansion joint, the front end would jerk violently to the right,
> and it was quite difficult to steer it back to the left; very sloppy
> feeling.  Same thing on curves to the left; it wanted to go right.  I
> eneded up driving the whole way back at 40 mph.

There are LOTs of things that this COULD be, from a flat tire to a
sway bar coming loose, or even a wheel bearing that's completely
disintegrated. You'll need to take it to someone who knows front ends
to find out the actual problem. Yes, it could be a ball joint or tie
rod end. A decent front end shop should be able to diagnose it for
you, but anyone willing to just look under there might be able to
find the part that's coming loose.

You might want to tell us what the diagnosis is before you pay
someone to fix it, as the Type 3 front end is different from a
Beetle's, which leads to misdiagnosis sometimes.

Yes, don't drive it any more than absolutely necessary before you get
it fixed.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org