[T3] front end woes

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jun 29 22:08:05 PDT 2015

On 29 Jun 2015 at 21:47, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Lloyd came over today and we jacked it up.  Turns out the steering box is
> shot.  He showed me how the thing at the bottom is leaking all its grease
> and moving in a way it shouldn't.  The ball joints are all OK, but we are
> going to replace everything, since it is all original.

There's no point in replacing parts that are still good. It just
makes for extra expense and extra work. The OG parts are likely to be
much better quality than anything you can buy today to replace them
anyway.

I'm a little puzzled by your diagnosis. It's hard for me to
understand how a steering gearbox problem would cause it to pull to
one side. Grease leaking out under there is pretty normal, but extra
motion probably isn't.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org