[T3] brake parts

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 5 11:35:42 PDT 2015

On 5 May 2015 at 11:08, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> OK, so I took The B. back to the shop, and just like you guys said, the
> drums are warped.  I need drums for both back wheels.  Any idea where to
> get them?  Exactly what parts do I ask for?  Mechanic says he can get the
> shoes if necessary.

I've never seen our drums warp, so this makes me wonder if they tried
to turn them and got them off-center. It's almost never good to try
to turn our drums or rotors: There's very little meat there, so
removing any is a bad idea. If they rusted due to being parked a long
time, they can be cleaned up by hand and some coarse emery paper.

My take on this is that they may have turned the drums and ruined
them.

> I see there are 4 hole and 5 hole drums.  Which do i need for a 71 SB?
> Are these OK?
>
> http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aftermarket-brake-drum-rear
> -lug-pattern-4x130-brazilian-p-17407

You need 4 hole drums. These MAY be okay, but the only aftermarket
drums I've seen had a center web that was about twice as thick as the
OG drums. This meant that the lug bolts couldn't get all the way into
the hub, so the threads in the hub eventually stripped out. The only
way to fix that was to replace the drum AND the hub with good used OG
parts.

I have good used OG drums and relined shoes. They would be cheaper
than the parts you found on line. I don't know how thick the web is
on the socalautoparts drums, but the OG parts have a web that is
about 1/8" thick. Don't let anyone install thicker ones on there.
That's just asking for trouble.

If your shop turned your OG drums and screwed them up, that's their
fault. They should have known better, but then again, you said they
weren't really a VW shop, so maybe they have a good reason to not
know.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org