[T3] Recalibrate speedometer

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 7 10:40:34 PDT 2015

On 7 May 2015 at 9:43, Jacob Adam Schroeder wrote:

> I have a 1972 Squareback and my speedometer is consistently about 10 mph
> slow.  Is this just a case of my speedometer needing to be recalibrated?
> Is this something that is easy to do or are specialized tools required?

There are a couple of possibilities. If the pointer is just offset on
the shaft, then it can be turned. That could be the case IF the
angular offset is always the same, which would be almost the same as
being off by 10 mi/hr at all speeds.

If someone has taken the speedo apart and simply put it back together
wrong, that's probably what happened. I could fix that for you if
that's the problem.

Otherwise, recalibration requires special equipment that changes the
strength of a magnet inside. I don't have that equipment. In general,
I have found that taking the speedo apart does not change the
strength of the magnet or the calibration.

I don't recommend this as a DIY project for most people. There are
too many ways for it to get screwed up. I've made tools and fixtures
that you won't have that let me do this work without damaging other
parts.

At the same time, I could do the standard repair that I usually do on
the late speedos that have the trip odo. That repair costs $50 plus
return shipping. If your odo is still okay, this would be
preventitive. Repositioning the pointer at the same time could be
done at no extra charge as long as you spelled out exactly what the
problem was when you sent it to me.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org