[T3] rear drums

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 7 18:02:01 PDT 2015

On 7 May 2015 at 22:34, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> Hello all!  I have a 1973 Fasty and need to remove the rear brake
> drums because my adjusters are frozen.  How do I do this?  Do I need
> to remove the 36mm nut to remove the hub?

It's best to leave the large axle nut in place and just remove the
drum. Here's how:

1) Loosen the lugbolts on both rear wheels, leaving them snug. Jack
the rear of the car up and put both sides on jackstands. Block the
front wheels. Remove the wheel & tire on ONE side. Remove the 2 small
screws in the face of the exposed brake drum; this usually requires
vice grips or a cold chisel on the edge of the screw head, driven on
a tangent.

2) Get in the car and start the engine. Put the clutch in and shift
into 3rd. Let the clutch out and rev the engine up. With your right
foot still on the gas, slam on the brakes with your left foot. This
should break the drum free from the hub. If it doesn't, repeat.

3) With one side free, line the lug bolt holes back up and remount
that wheel and tire. Snug up the lug bolts. Remove the other wheel &
tire. Remove the 2 small bolts from the face of the drum. Repeat step
2.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org