[T3] New pump different hic-ups

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 14 07:05:56 PDT 2015

On 14 May 2015 at 6:43, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I presume I test with an ohm meter? No resistance/some resistance.
> Open meaning no continuity.

Yes, that's the best way. Just measure the resistance of the whole
wire, from end to end. There's no need to take it apart. Anything in
the range of 800-1200 Ohms is fine. The only real problem is when you
get infinity (which will read OL or OPEN on most digital Ohmmeters
these days.)

I check each wire at each tuneup. They seldom go bad, but when they
go bad they will run just fine for awhile, so you don't know
anything's wrong. But eventually the gap gets so large inside the
insulator that the spark won't jump it, then that cylinder starts to
miss.

If you find one that's gone to infinity, just replace the SP
connector. I have them, both used and new. If you're now using
resistor plugs, you no longer need the resistor connectors. I have
non-resistor connectors, too. They will never fail, so they are a
good match for resistor plugs.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org