[T3] New pump different hic-ups

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 18 21:05:44 PDT 2015

On 18 May 2015 at 21:45, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Your remedy for resolving the "sometimes" problem of "sticking injectors"
> is EXACTLY what I've been telling you about my '69 Square.  But you
> explained it so much clearer.
> Your description of the "fix" is precisely what we should try, when you
> return.

In my limited experience, the injectors have tended to "stick"
slightly open. In other words, one of them will fail to shut off
completely. When this happens, the car will only run on 3 cylinders
until you get up to speed enough to clear out that over-fueled
cylinder. Once cleared out, things go right back to normal: 4 good
cylinders.

My guess is that this is due to a bit of rust that keeps the injector
pintle from dropping all the way back to the closed position. My hope
is that some amount of continuing operation will eventually clear
this rust away.

I've never experienced one cylinder going from good to bad suddenly
in the middle of a drive, so I think your experience is different.
But we can certainly consider that possibility.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org