[T3] NOS Bosch Reverse Light Kit - Installation Help Needed

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon May 25 08:53:48 PDT 2015

In a message dated 5/25/15 10:12:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
sjbartnik at mac.com writes:

> Hello all,
>
>  I picked up one of those NOS Bosch reverse light kits, with the switch
that
> mounts on the transaxle's nose cone and the operating lever that mounts
on
> the shift rod.  I tried to install this yesterday but I got hung up on
step 1.

>  To power the switch, you run a wire from the fuse box down under the
edge of
> the mat and then through the rear kick panel with the brake line into the
> under-rear-seat area.  Then the instructions say to pass the wire through
the
> grommet with the brake line and this is somehow supposed to get the wire
into
> the tunnel so you can get power to the switch at the shift rod coupler.
>
>  Well, as far as I can tell, the brake line doesn't go into the tunnel at
all,
>  it seems to run from the under-seat area through its own passage and
comes
> out under the car pretty far to the left of the tunnel where there's a T
> connection for the hard lines to the left and right wheels.  I tried
feeding
> the wire through there but  no luck.
>
>  So what am I missing?  Can you in fact get the wire into the tunnel from
the
> hole for the brake hard line?  Is there another way to get the wire into
the
> tunnel short of drilling a hole?  Is there another route I can take to
get
> the wire into the tunnel?
>
>  I looked at the voltage regulator wiring but it looks like it goes
through a
> harness between the inner and outer fenders so that's not gonna work.  I
also
> looked at the main battery cable but Keith had replaced that with a
gigantic
> welding cable (no starting issues here!) so I don't think I could
physically
> fit this little wire through the grommet with it.   :D
>
>  The instruction sheet was in German but I ran it through Google
Translate
> which seemed to do a pretty good job.  The relevant portions:
>
>  2) Connect the black wire from the harness to fuse No. 1 (terminal 15)
with
> plug distributor. Cable installation (see Figure 4) downwards, under the
mats
> edge to the rear and front of the partition wall to the center of the
frame
> tunnel. Remove the rear seat and pull cable along the brake pipe through
the
> partition.
>
>  3) From the vehicle underside of the lid frame tunnel Unscrew, pull out
the
> black wire end and connect to the reversing light switch.
>
>  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  I abandoned this project
> yesterday when it was late and it became clear that I was missing
something.

Sean, I was going to suggest going thru the battery cable grommet, as
that's straight thru the to the rear of the pan, and semi close to the nose of
the shifter coupler. I don't know if in 65 VW changed the rear part of the
pan, but on my 64 T-34, the rear part of the brake line actually passed thru 2
layers back there (the pan and the mounting plate for the rear subframe). I
don't think you can actually get into the tunnel, without drilling a hole
though.
If everything is as you say it is, you might be better off drilling a hole
somewhere.
Sorry, I'm not much more help.

Bob 65 Notch with sunroof</HTML>