[T3] Fan Pulley Fell Off

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu May 28 08:25:57 PDT 2015

On 27 May 2015 at 14:28, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> 1) The pulley's dowel is missing and the hole has been comprimised

Yes, you need to replace the pulley. They come with various timing
marks, so you want to get a correct one. You need one from a '68-'71.
The one from your second-hand engine should work just fine. The one
from ebay is likely to have the wrong timing marks. (It will fit, but
then you'll may get confused when you try to time the engine.)

> 2) an unusual shaped washer/spacer fell out and is broken - not sure where
> it goes or where to get a new one

That's a spacer shim. There are 0, 1, or 2 on each engine. I usually
find 1 or 2 and have found that they work fine with 0. The purpose is
to space the pulley out far enough that the generator belt can clear
the fan housing.

> 3) The Fan's dowel hole also appears to be somewhat messed up.

Yeah, take a very good look at the fan. In addition to the dowel
hole, it's quite possible that the surface where the pulley seats has
been worn such that a new pulley won't seat flat there. This is
likely to put the pulley off-center and out of balance.

You can use the pulley and fan from your second hand engine, or I
have all those parts, including the shims washers, and bolts,
available here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org