[T3] New pump different hic-ups

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 13 08:24:27 PDT 2015

On 13 May 2015 at 7:32, Tim Keohane wrote:

> I would like to get one. How much are they?

Genuine Bosch, $60 each, plus shipping.

> When an injector leaks is the leak to the outside or is it a leakage
> that produces a dribble into the cylinder?

Both happen. External leaks are obvious, but it sounds like your #1
has an internal leak.

> I read (sales pitch ?) that changing a single injector is not
> recommended, that changing all 4 is recommended.

I've never had a problem as long as I stuck with OE Bosch. I've seen
other cars that had an aftermarket injector that was clearly not
matched to the other Bosch ones. Since then, I avoid anything but the
correct Bosch number.

>  Is it possible to soak injectors in a diesel/kerosene bath and
> possibly save them?

It's possible that this could cure on kind of external leak. The most
common external leak, however, is from a cracked hose. That can be
fixed by replacing the hose. That's a bit of a tough job if you're
not set up for it, but I can do it for you if you want for $5 each.

> I presume the workings are such that the needle retracts for a
> fraction of a second and the pressurized fuel sprays into the
> cylinder.

Exactly, and you can depress that tiny pintle with the corner of your
fingernail and feel it move. It only moves a few thousandths, but
it's enough to feel.

> I'll go through the excursive of testing the shelf ones for my own curiosity.

Sure, that can be an interesting exercise.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org